Cadence is the protagonist of Crypt of the Necrodancer. She is a young explorer who went to the crypt in search of her father, Dorian.
She is unlocked by default.
Rules and Restrictions Edit
As the base character, she does not have any starting bonus nor malus in any way.
She starts with 3 Hearts (can be increased in single zones mode by buying heart containers in the Lobby), a basic dagger, a basic shovel, and one bomb.
As she is cursed by the Necrodancer, she must move to the beat of the music on each floor.
Starts with 1 Damage, 1 Vision Radius, 1 Dig, 0 armor.
Since Cadence starts in pretty weak condition, the player has to avoid the level's Boss/Mini-Boss as long as they did not manage to gear up through buying better equipment in shops or through chests.
Choral has the same mechanics as Cadence and is played by player 2 in co-op or can be selected in gameplay options .
- Her age is unknown, but it is probable she's no more 17-18 years old, as she was still a growing child two years before the main events of the game.
- Cadence is blonde, despite both of her parents having red hair.
- In music, a cadence is a progression of chords that ends a phrase, section, or composition (harmonic cadence) or a rhythmic pattern that indicates the end of a phrase (rhythmic cadence), with the purpose of creating a feeling of resolution. This may be related to how, in the game's story, Cadence is searching for her own resolution as to what happened to her father, Dorian.
- In a more literal sense, the word cadence comes from the latin word cadentia, which means "a falling". Cadence became cursed by the NecroDancer after he revived her from a lethal fall into the crypt.
- Choral is named after choral music, which is music written to be performed by an ensemble of multiple singers (called a choir or chorale). This fits her role as the character assigned to player 2 when there are multiple players.
| || |